The thought of getting out of bed when it is still dark outside if out of the question for some people. Are you one of these folks? Maybe you tried it once but failed?
I particularly love being able to get to a 5 am gym class especially when you are a busy mom! Follow my recommendations and I am positive you will succeed!
Try these 6 tips to get you going in the am:
- Register for a 5 am class- If you register for an early class then you will more likely hold yourself accountable to go, especially if you will be charged a late drop fee. Many of the gyms hold 5 am classes for those folks needing to get to work or get home to wake up the kiddos for school.
- Pick out your outfit – Before you go to bed, I would suggest setting out your gym gear. This way when you wake up its easier to find in the dark and you don’t have to think about it too much. I have had some friends actually sleep in their workout clothes – I have to confess I did this as well a few times. Gave me at least 10 min of extra sleep!
- Eat a pre-workout snack – One of the best coaches I ever had told me to eat half a grapefruit and 12-14 almonds as my pre-workout snack. I don’t know about you but I usually wake up hungry so having this snacked REALLY helped me! I do eat a well balanced breakfast when I get home- you can’t forget to eat to fuel your body.
- Get enough sleep – I will be the first to admit that I do not get enough sleep. I know 8 hours are recommended but I usually only get 6 hours. In order to wake up for a 5 am class, I need to go to bed by 10 pm. After a few 5 am classes, I promise you will want to get to bed early!
- Have patience – Yes, be patient with yourself and your body. I usually tell people it takes about 2 weeks to get your body acclimated to your new schedule. At first I would recommend of course taking a rest day and listening to your body. You know your body best but keep going and before you know it, you will be waking up before your alarm.
- Set your goals – Are you trying to loose weight? Gain muscle? Or maintain? Do you wish to run after your kids? Maybe you want to train for a race? Write out your goals and set time frames for each. Tell a friend and maybe you guys can reach them together. Working out with a partner is fun!
Find a gym that works for your early am workout needs. Remember to follow the 6 tips above and the best part- you will be done before others are waking up and you would have started your day with a bang!!